Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet Recommendations

Hey Freaks,

For next year I want to get myself my own helmet (my own sled would be great as well). I borrow both sled and helmet from my buddy and the helmet I use occasionally freezes up on me. I guess I'm so "full of hot air" that to keep it from fogging, I cover my face with a bachlava and keep all the vents open and crack the shield a bit. However on the rough trails, I will get snow in the helmet and then it freezes on the inside and I am toast until we get somewhere to let the entire thing thaw it. It usually happens at the beginning of a ride and maybe towards the end of the day. I also should be wearing my glasses for better night vision. They fog up immediatley so I don't use them and thus ride much slower at night. Because of this I was leaning towards getting an open helmet and goggles. I see lots of riders using them.

So I ask, any recommendations on lower price range racing style helmets? I see the Z1Rs run about $89 or so. What else is used (or what's the best thing to use) under the helmet and goggles so that you don't get frostbite? Do all goggles cover glasses?

Thanks in advance,
    mdrider
    In this world we're living in, we have our share of sorrow . . . answer now is don't give in, aim for a new tomorrow.

helmet

well i runa HJC sno X style with oakley goggles,and i love it,i would never ever go to a sheilded halemt.although they can be warmer,but with a proper facemask goggles kik a$$i sometimes wear glass's and they fit under my oakleys,smiths,scotts,and castle goggles,but i have small glass's...just my opoinion
    Last edited by D&Dmountianmod1010; 02-22-2006, 02:08 PM.
    if speed kills im a deadman
    lean n mean
    steep n deep

Comment

If You Want To Go The Cheap Way Go With Hjc If You Want A Good Helmet Go With An Arai Or Shoei Or An Oakley Helmet And Go With Oakley Goggles
      Sit-down,Shut-up and Hold the hell on

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I've been to Castle's website. It seems the race style helmets are listed under "Offroad/Moto-X". They are in the $80-150 range. Is it a safe assumption that they are approved for both bikes and snowmobiles?
        In this world we're living in, we have our share of sorrow . . . answer now is don't give in, aim for a new tomorrow.

Comment

yes they are,im pretty sure they would be anyway,i would think hitting the dirt is more of an impact than hitting snow...i think a guy that rides with us has a off-road/moto helmet..im pretty sure it is cause he had to buy the winter kit for it...so yes i believe they are safe for both
          lean n mean
          steep n deep

Comment

The older Ski-Doo modular...NOT the BVs2.

Helmet $280. Electric shield $130.00

If you buy junk you will throw it away and buy real helmet sooner or later. May as well do it right away...

2017 Ski Doo Renegade X 1200 ORANGE

Perfect!

Sometimes, it is OK for things to be less than OK. We have, in our minds, an unrealistic expectation.
            We think everything ought to be perfect. If it isn't, we figure we must be doing something wrong.
            But we live on a planet where nothing is without fault. Nothing.... and nobody !
            What counts, in the end, is not how you manage to make things right.
            It's how you manage to live with the fact that some things will always be a bit wrong.

Comment

i cant do the shield and wires n stuff..but i screw around alot always moving around and sometimes falling off...but we all are different...

i feel free when i ride...and i feel much more free'er with open/goggled helmet
              lean n mean
              steep n deep

Comment

I run an arai motocross style helmet with either scott or smith goggles
                - Riding in honor and in memory of those we love!

Comment

Diva,

What protects the face from freezing under the goggles? I've been looking online but haven't found anything yet. Haven't seen this 'accessory' on any of the sites I've gone to.

Thanks.

Comment

use a baclava or a hot head to protect the face when using a motorcross helmet and goggles

Comment

i have one of the regular ski doo modular helmets and love it, the bv2s is good but expensice, with the old style you fan fit glasses and under it and it has what they call evac which pushes your breath out so no foging of glasses or face mask, i wouldn't get the heated face shield though, i don't like the wires.

Comment

helmet

SKI-DOO modular older style,new $289 and up good to -25 without electric shield or colder.Just left Canada 2 weeks ago -26 and riding like we stole the sleds.The only problem sometimes when it's that cold is the tubes that exhale outside your helmet get some ice forming in them,STILL MUCH BETTER TO SEE AND STOP NOW AND THEN TO REMOVE THE ICE,also it has a sun shield which slides up and down as you ride in and out of the woods or forest.Add the cost of the sunglasses you lose or break and you almost paid for the helmet plus the cost of the other helmet you bought and don't use.AGAIN NOT THE BVS2!!!! I ride with a couple pro motocross racers and some only own the helmet and rent the sled and return it well used
                        Last edited by 50/50 racing; 02-22-2006, 05:44 PM.

Comment

You cannot ride in cold weather, I am talking below zero, for any period of time with open face motocross helmet. Try 300 miles in Canada at zero with m/cross helmet.

Same with electric shield, no one moves around more that I. How do you clear your shield in cold weather without heated shield.

Again OK in 20plus degree temps but when it gets cold...Good Luck

I had a BV2S and it was such junk Ski Doo returned it and dealer gave me 100% money back.

I guess everyone has their own needs...

2017 Ski Doo Renegade X 1200 ORANGE

Perfect!

Sometimes, it is OK for things to be less than OK. We have, in our minds, an unrealistic expectation.
                          We think everything ought to be perfect. If it isn't, we figure we must be doing something wrong.
                          But we live on a planet where nothing is without fault. Nothing.... and nobody !
                          What counts, in the end, is not how you manage to make things right.
                          It's how you manage to live with the fact that some things will always be a bit wrong.

Comment

i ride in 20 below temps wit an open face helmet and i live in alaska its fine if your wearing a hothead or baclava and make sure ur goggles have a tight seal on ur face

Comment

helmets

worked for dealer, sold cat helmets,z1r helmets, cat helmets are priceyand you still need to by a ele. shield to keep from freezing. some cat helmets are also snell approved which is very good. when we started selling z1r helmets we sold the mother load. for about 160.00 you had a full face helmet/w ele shield, all z1r helmets we sold we got great feed back as far as comfort, replacement parts aval. fogging. if just getting started great helmet, i will also caution going cheap on a helmet is not smart if you care about your well being, i'm myself feel more comfortable when i see snell approved.

Comment

Working...
                              X