Looking to get a new sled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to get a new sled

OK, right now I have two 340cc sleds. i am selling them and trying to decide what kind of sled I want to get in the future. i dont have much to spend, 1500 bucks, so what do you guys think I could get for $1500? I was looking along the lines of a nice sled, that could hit 100mph if I wanted it too
    Current Sleds:
    1980 Polaris Centurion
    1980 Arctic Cat El Tigre 6000 with 79 motor
    1975 Arctic Cat El Tigre 340 Quad Plug
    Previous Owned Sleds:
    1985 Polaris SS 440
    1980 Yamaha Enticer 250
    1978 Arctic Cat El Tigre 5000
    3- 1971 and 1972 Sno Jet Star Jet's
    2-1974 Scorpion Super Stinger 400
    1989 Polaris Indy Sport

Looking For:
    1981 Arctic Cat El Tigre 6000
    1981 Arctic Cat Jag 4000
    Old Arctic Cat Panther
    Old Sno Jets
    Or any vintage sled
    1994-1997 Polaris XLT

if your looking to buy a sled that is capable of hitting 100 mph and is in the $1500 range your gonna be in the 1997-1999 model years some of the more popular models are polaris indy 500- good reliable sled easy to come by there are a ton of them out there. i think they are in the 80 hp range so they not overly powerful but they use the mikuni vm carb so they are easy to clean and maintain probably would be my number 1 choice. then there is the ski-doo mxz500-or mxz 670. those also are easy to find and again in the 80-90 hp range. then there are the yamaha v-max xt and xtc 600. due to yamaha's depleted market share these sleds can be found rather cheap but seem to be a halfway decent machine. the ride quality looks under par but you can't beat the fit and finish of a yamaha. arctic cat has alot to offer in your price range in the years from 1997 to 1998. the 1997 zr 580 efi's are kind of popular but they are the only year that used the polaris secondary and they are also pre-batteryless efi. in 1998 cat brought out the zr's and the 1st of the new efi system. however the zr 500's and 600's did have some trouble with the stators that year and they are hard to come by and are expensive. i know this doesn't answer your question but i hope i gave you something to look at in your sled search. if you want feel free to call 315-376-8013 and ask for tim if something comes my way that you might be interested in i will be more thanhappy to hook you up.
    put your ass on the ice,turn left and hope for the best!!!

Comment

a 1500 dollar sled hitting 100mph????

better hold on tight..and add some NOS

Comment

well let's just say me and my dad basically stole my sled for the price we negotiated to (under 1500) and that baby can show you over 100 on the dreamometer

Comment

I used to have a skidoo 95 formula ss 670. That was an awsome sled. Beat the crap out of it and never had one problem. Me having it, converted 2 polaraasssss riders and 2 artic Crap riders into buying doo's after they saw how good a sled it was. If it were me, I wouldn't buy a triple carb...triple the trouble. A friend of mine had a polaris (can't remember the name..Indy lite maybe, the one with the white hood), and had nothing but problems, it was a triple.) I'm sure you can find a good deal on a decent sled, like vracer884 said, it will probably be 1995-1999 year range. Artic Cat had some decent Zr's out there also. Yamaha has seem to always be a reliable sled. I would just look it over good. Don't be afraid to look under the sled and look to see if anything has been bent or rewelded, thats a bad sign. Just my 2cents anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by snopro
            a 1500 dollar sled hitting 100mph????

better hold on tight..and add some NOS
            i know lotsa stock sleds around my home area for 1500 bux that are capable of 100mph if not more,96 zrts..xlts' xcr's mxz and about 85% of em are in very good shape,there is just no market around here for older sleds and especially triples,but some still like em
            if speed kills im a deadman
            lean n mean
            steep n deep

Comment

no market

Tell me about it-if its not a rev or f-cat no one will evan look at it no matter the condition
              FULL Throttle till you see god-- then Brake!

Member --All-In Snow Mob
              Rot's Posse

Comment

Se now 1500 is the lowest price I will spend. I own a landscaping business, so the more work I spend the better the sled I get. so lets say between $1500- $2500. I'm thinking about gettin an ATV too, so if I decide not to get one of those, that will be more money towards the sled. I dont need nothing too expensive because by next winter I will only have my drivers permit and wont be able to drive alone, and my dad hates snowmobiles so he wont go with me, so its probably just local ridin for next year too. Thanks for all your help! This site is just great
                Current Sleds:
                1980 Polaris Centurion
                1980 Arctic Cat El Tigre 6000 with 79 motor
                1975 Arctic Cat El Tigre 340 Quad Plug
                Previous Owned Sleds:
                1985 Polaris SS 440
                1980 Yamaha Enticer 250
                1978 Arctic Cat El Tigre 5000
                3- 1971 and 1972 Sno Jet Star Jet's
                2-1974 Scorpion Super Stinger 400
                1989 Polaris Indy Sport

Looking For: