Rode the hill yesterday....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rode the hill yesterday....

Not too bad, definately worth the trip from Rochester. Unloaded @ Highmarket and picked up the trail by the Sportsman. All of the following had been groomed, had very few bare spots, but had some rollers: Trail from Highmarket provisions to the sportsman, to North South Road, to RR bed, to Tabolts Corners to Timberview and the side trail of Morgan Gulf Rd. I think Timberview had been out. These trails were very nice and fast. Not even icy corners. The reservior was also flat and fast with 4" of snow cover. Heading over to Flat Rock, coverage got thin and things were bumpy, and the bumps are SOLID. Flat Rock Road had a short bare patches on the end of the road near the INN, but the rest had good snow cover and was bumpy. This trail could be groomed and in excellent condition. At the end of flat rock road, headed left (instead of heading right to Montague) into the unmaintained area. Lots of deep snow, but very bumpy. Hit some dead end areas. From there headed back towards Flat Rock, but took the right hand turn (5H, or H5) and ran that all the way back avoided the thin snow areas, but riding bumps the whole way. Saw about 20 other sleds all day. I would think the conditions would remain pretty much the same the next few days, as traffic is low, temps are cold, and the sun is supposed to remain behind the clouds.

Sweet !!!
    Wish I could blow the day off tomorrow I'd head up for a day of riding...
    Hmmmmmmm
    It's who we are ..... It's what we do !!!!

Comment

so there still is some riding left up there, nice deal...glad to hear one freak is still living it up on tug hill in late march

Comment

I thought the snow was gone? Blowin off tommorrow sounds good to me too!
        "If ya can't fix it, get a hammer. If a hammer won't fix it, get a pry bar. If a pry bar won't fix it, get a bigger hammer. If the bigger hammer doesn't fix it. It belongs there."
        Me

Comment

You got to know where to go. One guy up there unloaded at Montague, but never made it past Flat rock as it was so sketchy around the Inn. Another guy rode down by Cedar Pines and it sounded bad! Its about an hour longer drive to the Highmarket area for me, but well worth it. There were 4 other trucks and trailers in the parking area between Barrows and Highmarket provisions when we got back, we only saw about 20 other sleds all day. If I was to go back tomorrow, I would park there again and pick up the trail in the same place. You should check out Morgan Gulf road too, which is a left turn heading to Timberview from Tabolts corners, just before you come out of the woods into the field before the plowed road. And don't turn around when you get to the 40 yards of dirt on the hill; run this until it ends at the plowed road/turns left to field. What a blast this trail was! Totally covered by trees with 95% of the trail completely covered, groomed, flat and fast!

Comment

Another note, it looks very bad/depressing from the car/road! Even as we rolled past Highmarket Inn we were wondering if we made a mistake and should have brought 4-wheelers. Lots of grass in the exposed areas, but we were pleasantly surprised by the time we got to the Sportsman.

Comment

Are you going again tommorrow? (friday)
              "If ya can't fix it, get a hammer. If a hammer won't fix it, get a pry bar. If a pry bar won't fix it, get a bigger hammer. If the bigger hammer doesn't fix it. It belongs there."
              Me

Comment

Negative, I was already "sick" one day this week. I will only make the trip back up if they get more snow and Gordon gets off his ass and grooms Flat Rock Road.

I undestand sno pals, and cedar pines, not grooming as they don't have coverage from where their groomers are parked, but I don't know of any good reason not to be grooming in the areas that have snow. Timberview groomed and possible S. Tug Hill (by sportsman).

Comment

OK, if you go give me a shout. I'm here near Buffaloand could meet you for the drive up. I have never benn to the HIll so I would have no idea where to go.Thanks
                  Me

Comment

will do, hope for some snow! I can't remember that last time I didn't ride in April up there.

Comment

Working...
                    X