Information on Windmills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information on Windmills

Windmills have become a recent part of our snowmobiling landscape in upstate NY. I am sure many of us are curious about these windmills. Are they safe, do they impact the environment. Visit this link and click on the video called Live Clean with New York Wind Power. It is an informative video about 3 recently erected windfarms including the one call the Maple Ridge Wind Farm located in Lowville, NY. The video is about 10 mins long.

Wind power is a great source of renewable energy.

http://aceny.org/

I know Holland has had windmills for 100's of years and they make great beer too.Ya know , " go grab a hiney"

Also www.mapleridgewind.com
    Rot.
    Last edited by rotalaris; 04-04-2006, 09:22 AM.
    H20Xing is more twice as badass as the second most badass thing in the world.
    Heaven is a chocolate train with a monkey conductor who farts lollipops!

Founder of ROTS. POSSE

Comment

Maple Ridge..home of the 99.2 wind gust..I was there!!!

Comment

i just wrote a paper on wind energy....i even talked about sledding under the windmills...let's hope my professor isnt a tree hugger

Comment

Not to rub it in, but on the Snow Run we had our guide stop and give some very interesting facts... Hope to include this next year as well (hint, hint!). They are a very interesting part of Tug Hill's landscape, I agree.
          - Riding in honor and in memory of those we love!

Comment

I think the windmills are cool, and they create decent photos:

Comment

DIVA, I've got a question about your avatar. What does the fire breathing dragon slayer women signify or is it just a fire breathing dragon slaying women?
              I gotta ask.
              Rot.

Founder of ROTS. POSSE

Comment

One of the bands I like just released a new CD.. Yeah,Yeah, Yeah's is their name. Its a female singer.. And she is kinda wild In the concert DVD I have she spits out grapes, and beer and stuff so I imagine this is kind of protreying that aspect of her performance antics. So.. thats pretty much all I can tell ya.
                Video Example (Date with the night): Windows Media ~or~Real Player

And speaking of Avatar's... I came across this the other day. Again, not sure what it means. But it looks like the text spells Rota, ya think?? Not that its fitting to have you flushed or anything.. but it did crack me up.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by SpeedDiva; 04-04-2006, 11:37 AM.
                - Riding in honor and in memory of those we love!

Comment

I think it says EYOTA.
                  Humm???

WOW! Now wonder GODZILLA was always pissed off!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  hehehehe
                  Rot.

Founder of ROTS. POSSE

Comment

Next county over from me which consists of having to travel 2 miles, have been approached by the windmill people...the same company that did Lowville, BUTT their name has changed....question I asked is....why ???? hmm

Another question I have to ask at the meeting will be...why do NOT the people whom live close by receive this electric, why does it go to the national grid ???

Gotta go, more on this later .......
                    It's who we are ..... It's what we do !!!!

Comment

So anywho ....

When the people were 1st approached about this, the company people made it sound like a dream come true for the landowners. Sign RIGHT NOW on the dotted line and we will give you a 1G a year for 10 years, some were offered more depending on much acreage they, how many windmills would be put on their land. Of course the people wanted to look into it more before signing (and who signs right then and there about something pertaining to this), as some had heard about what was going on at Lowville. The town and village people have spent many hours looking up info and the wekend of the breast cancer run they went to Flat Rock directly and spoke w/ Gordon and people who are against the mills and who are for them.

Side note : The girl I was speaking w/ about this says to me " I couldn't believe there were still people riding sleds up there" Told her...Hell ya, we're a diehard bunch !!!

Seems the people have spoken cause now there are signs everywhere that say " No Wind Turbines". I'll find out more when I go to the meeting ,.....
                      It's who we are ..... It's what we do !!!!

Comment

The landowners on the hill are paid over $6000 per mill, per year, till ???
                        Personally I would say "sure Ill take 2"
                        Thats a new sled every year $$$$$$
                        Rot.

Founder of ROTS. POSSE

Comment

We need to look to renewable energy. Fossil fuels are depleting and getting very costly. Nuclear is a great form of energy but no one wants to live by a nuclear power plant. Everyone has this "Not in my back yard" attitude. Windmills are no different. I am by no means a tree hugger but the cost of fuel in my vehicle and fuel to heat my home is getting to costly. My bills increase and my paycheck stays the same. Renewable energy is where our future is. Projects like these windmills should be supported. The monetary deals for the land owners may need to be made better but renewable energy is a good thing.

Comment

Renewable energy! You've got that right. The ultimate source of energy that could easily save the world is nuclear fusion. Unfortunately, our technology still isn't that advanced. We are capable of nuclear fission, but fusion is a whole nother story. I find this quite ironic since the fusion name has been abolished by Polaris Solar and Wind Energy are two other good sources. Our roofs, if equipped with the right equipment can easily obtain enough energy to supply us with what we need. Unfortunately, the cost of solar panels and such is still too high for the average person. There are many companies out there that are already providing strictly renewable energy, but the cost of their energy is still more than it is to get it from our larger, more local companies.

Here is a good site about wind energy and more
                            http://www.greenmountain.com/

Comment

i waited to post in here to see the rsponse. I have no problem with them. But here is my question. When I was traveling this summer I saw signs through out a small town on 20A all over saying negative things. NOthing that made sense. Just stuff like, say no, not in my back yard etc. Why would they not want them? I would think that it is a good resource to use.I also figured where ever they put them the landowner would get compensated. Why would they not like it? Are they loud?

As far as the increasing costs of fossil fuels and oil, don't get me started on our fearless GOP leader!!!End of story. Period. No more comment!
                              "If ya can't fix it, get a hammer. If a hammer won't fix it, get a pry bar. If a pry bar won't fix it, get a bigger hammer. If the bigger hammer doesn't fix it. It belongs there."
                              Me

Comment

Working...
                              X