Powder coated tunnel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder coated tunnel

Anyone here have their tunnel done? Does anyone here know anything about powder coating? I got a price from a local guy here to do it. Kinda cheap I thought, about 2 hundo. He said the only issue is that sometimes, and her stressed this, that when aluminum has salt on it for awhile it sokes into the aluminum. He said when he heats up the powder coat to 400 degrees or so it tends to pop or blow up is how he put it. Not the whole tunnel, only where the salt was really set in. He said it usually blows the powder off and looks like crap. He said he wanted to warn me "just in case it looks like crap when he's done". I have seen his work before and it looks good. He said it rarely happens but he has seen it on rims before when he shoots them. What do you guys think? I know it's a risk, a big one, but I rally don't like the way the aluminum is oxidized on it now. I thought of polishing but I figured I would have to do it every year or so. I also like the look of the black better too, want to be different.
    Last edited by Intimdtr77; 04-07-2006, 03:35 PM.
    "If ya can't fix it, get a hammer. If a hammer won't fix it, get a pry bar. If a pry bar won't fix it, get a bigger hammer. If the bigger hammer doesn't fix it. It belongs there."
    Me

I just got into powder coating and bought the kit myself. I got the same results your talking about. I tried doing some parts off my sled and had that poping effect. I think if your going to have it done you would have to try and find a way to wash out the salt first as best you can
    If your sled was as fast as your mouth you would be leading the pack instead of following me
    04 Skidoo 800HO
    www.freewebs.com/sledheaven

Comment

He said even when he sand blasts the sh*t out of the parts they still do it. I wonder if there is like a aluminum acid wash that they make that would work?
      "If ya can't fix it, get a hammer. If a hammer won't fix it, get a pry bar. If a pry bar won't fix it, get a bigger hammer. If the bigger hammer doesn't fix it. It belongs there."
      Me

Comment

there is!! It is called acid!! I'll come back later with the stuff!!

Jake

Comment

OH BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JAKE +ACID =TROUBLE!!!!!!!!!::
          One of my sponcors is POWDERTECH in Duanesburg NY. The quality is awsome and they have a ton of colors to choose from.
          Rot.
          H20Xing is more twice as badass as the second most badass thing in the world.
          Heaven is a chocolate train with a monkey conductor who farts lollipops!

Founder of ROTS. POSSE

Comment

Originally posted by rotalaris
            OH BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JAKE +ACID =TROUBLE!!!!!!!!!::
            One of my sponcors is POWDERTECH in Duanesburg NY. The quality is awsome and they have a ton of colors to choose from.
            Rot.

ROTLMFAO!!!

That ACID stuff is Metal acide. 3M makes it!!! Aluminum wheel cleaner is just like it!! We got it at a wheel shop!!
            Jake

Comment

Actually, I found out somewhere else that a guy had Line-X do his. That sounds cool too. I am waiting for the pics of it. From the response on the thread he posted, it turned out good.
              Me

Comment

if ya want something tuff try por-15 go to there web www.por15.com i have used it on my vette to do the frame the stuff is great and you couldnt get it off with a screwdriver if you wanted to and its hard and smooth check it out!!!
                I'm a official member of the ROTALARIS POSSE

Comment

What is the effect of 400 degrees on the aluminum? Would that weaken it any? Just asking because a tunnel is a pretty vital structural component.
                  LET IT SNOW!
                  2003 Rev 440
                  1973 Rupp Nitro 440

2008 Polaris RZR

Comment

Ya know, I never thought of that. That heating the tunnel might damage it? There must be a temp that aluminum loose it strength or memory. The more I learn about it the less I like it. I am really leaning towards the line-X or Rhino lining. I saw a pic of the end product an dit looks great! So now I'll start shopping for prices. It will definately be my summer project. It will be the first time I tear down a completely new sled! So what does that mean? Expect a increase in posts towards the end of the project!!!

Thread: where does this go?

Thread: where does that go?

Thread: what happens if I do this instead of this?

Thread: i got left over parts, now what?

Do you see a pattern!!!!!!!!
                    Me

Comment

Originally posted by Intimdtr77
                      Ya know, I never thought of that. That heating the tunnel might damage it? There must be a temp that aluminum loose it strength or memory. The more I learn about it the less I like it. I am really leaning towards the line-X or Rhino lining. I saw a pic of the end product an dit looks great! So now I'll start shopping for prices. It will definately be my summer project. It will be the first time I tear down a completely new sled! So what does that mean? Expect a increase in posts towards the end of the project!!!

Thread: where does this go?

Thread: where does that go?

Thread: what happens if I do this instead of this?

Thread: i got left over parts, now what?

Do you see a pattern!!!!!!!!
                      Well if you have leftover parts than do what your signature [email protected]!!! lol
                      Jake

Comment

Well I got my mind made up. Lin-X it is. (no local Rhino dealer). I called them today, $6 per square foot. That is a very good price. He guaarntees the work and said they got special primer for the aluminum. It's usually $5 a square, they had to knock it for the special primer. He said I can tear down as much as I like. He will mask the rest off. My plan is to have the sides done from the beaver tail to the footwells. I'm going to pop the revits for the tunnel re-inforcments and a few other ones that may get in the way of shooting a good pattern. I'll keep this thread updated as I start tearing down and when I go to the shop I'll take pics of the process. Proably when it stops raining and warms up a bit. Thanks for all the responses guys. Still open to ideas and suggestions.
                        Me

Comment

Working...
                        X