Anyone here ride in the Old Forge, NY area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here ride in the Old Forge, NY area

always looking for new guys to ride with (once the season gets going that is). Im at the Campgrounds almost all season long.
    ride sober, keep to right

welcome...I have weekday trail pass for old forge...Im in Bham all winter...stop over...ya cant miss the sled....

Comment

I cant see paying $65 to ride 55 miles of trails ( webb-inlet)when I can pay $100 to ride 7000 miles in VT or $65 in Maine to ride over 10,000 miles.Oh yea there groomed to perfection 90% of the time too.
      The permit system in old forge is a HUGE money make for that town.
      EasY math.
      permit $65
      permits sold 8000
      x--------+ $520,000 WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Where does the money go??
      Thats about tHE entire budget for the entire snowmobile GROOMING community in upstate NY.
      Not starting any trouble but, I refuse to pay.
      ROT.. my .02 worth
      H20Xing is more twice as badass as the second most badass thing in the world.
      Heaven is a chocolate train with a monkey conductor who farts lollipops!

Founder of ROTS. POSSE

Comment

2 Cents

Amen Rot....no Snow, Overcrowded, And The Cheapest Place To Eat In Town Is Mickey D's.....not Worth It...ride The Hill And Throw That 80$ In A Groomer Jar.

Comment

Originally posted by indytrailmike
          always looking for new guys to ride with (once the season gets going that is). Im at the Campgrounds almost all season long.
          I will riding Old Forge in mid Feb, I will give you a yell when we get closer. I will be out on South Shore Road.

Comment

Originally posted by rotalaris
            I cant see paying $65 to ride 55 miles of trails ( webb-inlet)when I can pay $100 to ride 7000 miles in VT or $65 in Maine to ride over 10,000 miles.Oh yea there groomed to perfection 90% of the time too.
            The permit system in old forge is a HUGE money make for that town.
            EasY math.
            permit $65
            permits sold 8000
            x--------+ $520,000 WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Where does the money go??
            Thats about tHE entire budget for the entire snowmobile GROOMING community in upstate NY.
            Not starting any trouble but, I refuse to pay.
            ROT.. my .02 worth
            Refusing to pay or unwilling not to pay is one thing, not knowing all the facts is quite another!!

The Towns of Webb and Inlet have quite a lot more than 55 miles. Not as many as they actually claim though (550), but I was told by an Inlet groomer driver that 185 miles is what they have all together. That seems reasonable to me, as I have ridden almost all of them each year. Not a lot either, but it's the other things you get in the OF area inside of those miles that make it worth the moneyto many like me. It's kinda like paying an extra $1.00 for a drink in a bar with good atmosphere...it keeps the riff-raff that can't afford the higher cost out and better people stay longer and there's less problems. The same goes for OF. I notice quite a lot more families there. I like that. It's where I take my family. More people use hand signals there compared to anywhere else (especially The Hill). The businesses cater to sledders more than anywhere else while the prices are always high on food & drinks, unlike The Hill where businesses jack up their prices in the winter months only just to make it off the backs of snowmobilers for the rest of the year. OF is a year-round tourist stop. Like it or not. They know how to make money off from what they have...location, location, location. They buy new groomers so that they can be out there more than not. They don't get any reimbursement from the state or insurance from the state like clubs do. They pay for it all out of the permit fees. They supply free maps for their trails. There is obviously large amounts of different variety of places to stay and restaurants to eat at, rather than staying at one place and hitting the same 6 places all week long like in other areas.
            And a lot more than 8,000 permits are sold each year. It's more like over 10,000. The cost you quoted was only for the early season puirchase. Right now, the cost of their permit is $85.00. So the math is about double what you stated.
            And the biggest laugh of all your #'s is the amount that you claim the entire upstate NY grooming budget is. Last year NYS paid out $4.912 MILLION dollars from NYS registration fees back to snowmobile clubs in reimbursement for their expenses. That's not including any funding to Webb or Inlet nor does it include law enforcement reimbursments statewide. And that total is about half of what clubs actually spent last year on maintaining funded trails.
            I didn't want to get things going negative in this post, just wanted to get the true facts out there. The OF permit is not for everyone, and if it was I probably wouldn't buy it and go there anymore. It is in no way "overcrowded", unless you go there the week between Christmas and New Years and the next 2 weeks after that. That's when all the out-of-staters come up in droves. You go up on Sunday afternoon and watch all the trucks & trailers headed out. Sunday night, Monday, and Tuesday are almost like riding in your own private area for most of the year.
            But please, for those that don't want to pay the extra, don't go out and take my recommendations of OF and buy one. It's just fine the way it is and with the current # of riders that do pay and go there. I REALLY hope OF nevers turns out like The Hill is.
            Last edited by snowman1; 11-28-2005, 12:10 AM.

Comment

ROT snowman calling you rif raf...LMAO

We ARE the people you dislike on the HILL and we are glad you stay away...

We ride too fast too often so stay off the Hill or we may run you over...

ROFLMAO
              2017 Ski Doo Renegade X 1200 ORANGE

Perfect!

Sometimes, it is OK for things to be less than OK. We have, in our minds, an unrealistic expectation.
              We think everything ought to be perfect. If it isn't, we figure we must be doing something wrong.
              But we live on a planet where nothing is without fault. Nothing.... and nobody !
              What counts, in the end, is not how you manage to make things right.
              It's how you manage to live with the fact that some things will always be a bit wrong.

Comment

I left Old Forge 15 years ago to ride over on the Hill, I still go over that way but I will not go on the Town of Webb trails, everybody has their favorite places to ride so why call people names just because of where they ride. To each his own I always say.

www.synthetic-oil-tech.com/1337943
                GR synthetics LLC.
                Greg Renninger,AMSOIL synthetics Direct Jobber
                A Sponsor of Sledfreak
                www.synthetics-us.com/1337943

Comment

Last season I spent over $15,000 snowmobiling. Thats gas, food, lodging, parts, ect ect. I guess if thats "riff-raff" then Im the PRESIDENT of that group of people.
                  What i'm pissed at is that there is NO legal(NON-PERMIT) trail that connects the trails from the OLD BARN area to the railbed @ Big Moose Station.
                  If a "traveling" sledder coming from say, Speculator area wants to ride to the HILL,that sledder will be $85 poorer due to the fact that the permit MUST be purchased to ride the small pecentage of connecting milage to the tracks. This is BS. There should be a trail connecting thatis FREE.
                  Thsi is the main reason I dont ride Old Forge/ Inlet. They want 1 thing and thats my $$$$$$$$.
                  I know my #'s were off but, you get my drift of what Im saying.
                  Old Forge is deffiniatly a family trail system thats marked probably better than canadian trail systems. And there are a # of rest. and motels ect ect but they are there for the summer crowd too.
                  The grooming is almost to good.Buy the 1st-2nd week of march there isnt any snow left on the "PLAINS" .
                  Anyway, Im gonna spend my $85 on a couple bottles of rumpleminze and food for this years TRASHER PARTY.
                  ROT. OH YEA ITS SNOWING OUT TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Founder of ROTS. POSSE

Comment

Snowman1...great Post.....i Only Ride On Weekdays....mondays And Tuesdays...are Always The Best....much Less Traffic....i Enjoy Going To Old Forge Even More Now Due To New Short Cut Trail Between Bham And Stillwater...can Get There Alot Faster....only Problem Was Snow Suked Early In Season And Couldnt Get There Without Messin Everything Up....

But I Enjoy O-fearly In Week Before Everybody Comes Up....for Me...up There All Winter...i Ride Alot Less....get Later Start...get Back Earlier..that Could Be Old Age Also...but....i Agree..o-fis Cool....

Slickers!!!!

Peace

Comment

I re-read my post and I see where someone would insinuate that I called someone who doesn't purchase the Old Forge permit riff-raff. That wasn't my intention AT ALL and I apologize for that. My point was that some will take that permit fee and use it for what it is. A marketing strategy to get the trails groomed more and keep riders coming back year after year. I guess they have me in that ploy!! Big Moose Rd. from Eagle Bay north isn't a permit Rd. Neither are any of the lakes, right?

And for Phil...you have no idea where I ride and how I ride. I choose to ride in OF with my family. But there are a lot better trails with more consciencious riders in areas just outside of The Hill and that's where I ride. And ride hard is what I do when I choose to. I know most all the trails around the Tug Hill area very well and I push myself when I know I can make it back alive. It's the rest of the ones (like you claim to be) that concern me and have me thinking about the welfare of my family when idiots come over a blind hill on my side of the trail. I rode almost evry Thursday through Sunday on the Hill. Was in every tavern up there over and over all weekend long 15 years ago. But I had 2 friends killed there and saw 2 other fatalities...all on The Hill. So, sure, ...if that's what you like, then please stay there. Hopefully you won't learn like I did how riding a snowmobile is the fun part. But getting home in one piece and with all your friends with you is the most important part!
                      Last edited by snowman1; 11-22-2005, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Ok, Correct me if im wrong but, behind the Old Barn is a small trail which is PRIVATE( permit) that connects w/ Gilbert Rd. (town owned) which connects to south shore rd. also town owned. no permit. That 300 yard "dash "between old barn and gilbert rd is where the cops sit checking permits.This is the ONLY trail to connect to any lake or ridable road.I could take the sidewalk from the gas station to inlet but thats a major NO-NO.
                        As for idiots on my side of the trail on a blind hill, that is anywhere USA. My buddys kid was hit about 10 years ago on the HOLLYWOOD HILLS area . The rider never stopped .
                        In NY it seems the trails were designed by the tavern owners. they all lead to a NEON sign. If you ever get the chance to ride in VT or want to ride there let me know. Ill take you from Woodford VT to Barre. approx 200 miles. We will pass 3-5 gas stations only 1-2 NEONS.
                        I guess if your happy with your riding area stick w/ it. Me ,I ride all over. 3900 miles last season, 4500 prior and over 6000 3 years ago.
                        ROT.

Founder of ROTS. POSSE

Comment

riding in Old Forge

I didn't ask if all you guys like or dislike Old Forge, I dont understand why guys bash sleds or riding areas. You like your sled/place I like my place/sled. Getting back to Old Forge for a sec. I/we dont stay in the OF system at all, just use it a base to start from and a big choice of services and restaurants at the end of the day after riding over to "the hill" or any other area 50+ miles away.. We rent a cottage there and dont trailer any more. Leave everything there except dirty underwear. I was just looking to buddy up with some other guys - thats all.
                          Last edited by indytrailmike; 11-27-2005, 10:02 PM.
                          ride sober, keep to right

Comment

I told you that I will be riding that area ALOT this winter...I do not mind to spend $50.00 on a weekday season pass...I can go over there with less problem then getting to the "hill"....as long as snow..I like there trail system.,.and stillwater res...so..I will be there and we can hook up during the week...cause that will be the only time I ride...WEEKDAYS!.....and there are CRAZY;;s EVERYWHERE!!!....you can be goin anywhere and have JERKS driving on your side of trail...they are just plain stupid IDIOTS!

pm your phone number up there

Comment

Working...
                            X