• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holland Boy 8 Killed...

By DAN HERBECK and MAKI BECKER
    News Staff Reporters
    11/27/2005

An 8-year-old Holland boy was killed Saturday when he was struck by a snowmobile while playing in the snow near his home.
    Joshua Anderson, of 13417 Day Road, was hit by a snowmobile driven by James R. Davis, 24, who lives nearby.

Authorities said Joshua was sledding on a hill in a field near his home with his sister, Amber, and their friend, Ashley Pleace of East Concord, both 11, late Saturday morning.

State Police said Davis was headed west on his 2003 Polaris snowmobile and had just crested a hill when he crashed into the children at about 11:40 a.m.

Joshua died at the scene. Ashley suffered leg injuries and Amber was unhurt, investigators said. The Anderson's family dog also was killed in the crash.

"It looks like it was just a total accident," said Jeffery Snyder, a Holland Volunteer Fire Company captain who was one of the first rescuers on the scene.

"The three kids had been playing on a little hill, trying to slide down it on an inner tube," Snyder said. "They were just sitting in the snow, taking a little rest. The boy on the snowmobile came up over the hill from the other side, and there they were."

State Police and Erie County sheriff's deputies are investigating and said no charges were expected to be filed against Davis.

"It was terrible," said Suzanne Webster, a neighbor who arrived at the Anderson home moments after the crash. "I heard some screaming and went trudging over there through the snow.

"[One of the girls] was screaming, "Oh my God, don't let this happen.' Josh was lying in the snow. I reached down to take his pulse, but I couldn't feel anything. He had already passed."

Webster said Davis had already gone to get someone to call 911, and had come back to the accident scene.

"He was very silent, very quiet," Webster said of the snowmobile driver. "I asked him if anyone called 911, and he said yes. I tried to comfort him. I told him accidents happen and not to worry. I see him all the time. He rides his snowmobile along that path all the time."

Ashley was taken by Mercy Flight to Women and Children's Hospital, where she was being treated for possible fractures to her legs, State Police said. She was listed in guarded condition Saturday night.

Snyder said a distress briefing team came to the Holland fire hall to counsel firefighters who witnessed the aftermath of the accident.

State Trooper Troy Ford said he believed Saturday's crash was the first of the season in the Boston area.

"I hope this is the only one," he said.

Two winters ago in Western New York, four people were killed in snowmobile crashes within the span of a month.

There are roughly 10,000 snowmobiles registered in Erie County, according to statistics from 2002.

While adults don't need special permits to ride snowmobiles, youths between ages 10 and 17 need to pass a snowmobile safety certification class. Riders are required to buy insurance if they plan to cross roads and obtain state registration if they plan to leave their own property.

Webster said the death was especially upsetting because it began with innocent children playing in the snow.

"It's the first big snowfall of the year. It was a perfect day for kids to be playing in the snow. A perfect day for a kid to go out on his snowmobile," she said. "Why did this have to happen?"

That is so very sad. Prayers sent to the family and to the guy that hit them. I can't imagine what he is going through right now.

Comment

I heard about that today. Very sad. Prayers go out the family.
      SnowRida
      Runnin Against the Wind!
      Against the Wind, Let the Cowboy's RIDE!
      Yamaha V-Max
      02 MXZ 600
      97 Polaris Indy Trail Touring

Mid-West Super Moderater

Comment

Originally posted by MXZchick
        That is so very sad. Prayers sent to the family and to the guy that hit them. I can't imagine what he is going through right now.
        couldnt of said it better myself, how sad.

Comment

Working...
        X