Report from St Zenon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report from St Zenon

Just got back from La Cabanon in St Zenon Quebec Canada. They have plenty of snow up there. Riding is good and traffic is light.

We arrived Saturday night, temp was -10 C. Rain during the day Saturday made the trails packed and hard. Sunday temps were -10 C to just above zero, windy but sunny all day. Trails were smooth and hard. One sled had trouble cooling because the trails were to hard. The trails taken care of by La Cabanon were in excellent shape. We went to the power dam and CanadAdventure. CanadAdventure is a nice place, they offer accommodations, food, gas, a bit off the beaten path but what a nice place. Monday we were going to head to St Donat but just after the Coin Lavange my manifold bolts decided to disappear. We had been looking at a nice 200 mile loop to St Donat but my sled said FU. So we towed back to Coin Lavange hoping to borrow a stick magnet to find the missing bolts. The folks at the Coin Lavange were nice and tried to help us, but the bolts are MIA. They directed us to Paul in St Come for repairs. We spoke to a great guy there who spoke partial english got directions and we towed to St Come. Got a little lost in St Come but finally found the place PMN Performance. This is the place where all the 3 wheelers have gone. Rota would love this place, the owner races oval and has tons of Polaris parts. The owner Paul was away on business but the guy he left in charge was great! He spoke some english. They brought my sled right in and everyone in the shop tried to get us back running. Unfortunately the gasket could not be saved and they did not have one in stock. They said they could get the gasket and have it running in the morning. Riding back 2-up to La Cabanon SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With temps below zero I could not feel my feet by time we got back to the hotel. My sled was kept in their warm shop over night and was fixed in the morning. We took the truck & trailer to St Come to pick it up, riding 2-up was not an option!. After getting the sled, we rode to Kubeks. Trails were smooth, fast and very light traffic. I highly recommend going to Kubeks if you go to this area. These were the best trails of the trip. We were going to go to Lake Sacacome but the trail into the lake was narrow and poorly groomed. We decided to stay on good trails and looped back to La Cabanon. After dinner we rode towards the town of St Zenon, the mountain trail was bumpy and the roads into the town needed fresh snow. We got back on good trails and headed back to La Cabanon via trails by La Glaciere.

The area had just gotten some warm temps and some rain just before we arrived. The lakes were frozen but minimal snow coverage. Roads in the little towns had little to no snow cover. All the trails had plenty of snow, some were a little to packed for proper cooling of the sleds. The area could benefit from a few inches of fresh snow mainly for proper cooling of the sleds. Wednesday morning the area got approx 6 inches of fresh snow, followed by pouring rain. The trails with the fresh snow if groomed should not be affected by the rain. Conditions were not as good as the typical pristine conditions normally experienced in Canada but even a bad day in Canada is still better then an excellent day in Tug or Old Forge. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best ever I would rate the trails an 8. St Zenon has more than enough snow and plenty of great groomed trails, lack of snow around here has scared off many people so traffic is light. We bought a season pass and are planning another trip for Presidents week in February. St Come has an annual snow festival where the whole town makes huge ice sculptures, this festival kicks off Jan 27th. These folks make some impressive sculptures if you can go this should be on your list of places to stop. The sculptures are on display into February too.

Power Dam

Power Dam Sunday
    Attached Files

Comment

CanadAdventure

CanadAdventure Sunday
      Attached Files

Comment

Trails

JCT of 63 & 343
        Attached Files

Comment

Mechanic

PMN Performance
          Attached Files

Comment

St Come

Getting ready for the Ice Festival in St Come. These blocks are placed all over the town and the people make incredible sculptures out of them.
            Attached Files

Comment

Trail

Trail Tuesday night I think it was trail 318. Smooth fast and empty!!!
              Attached Files

Comment

Great report Suzie...Isn't the dam crossing wild...they would never allow that in the U S A...
                2017 Ski Doo Renegade X 1200 ORANGE

Perfect!

Sometimes, it is OK for things to be less than OK. We have, in our minds, an unrealistic expectation.
                We think everything ought to be perfect. If it isn't, we figure we must be doing something wrong.
                But we live on a planet where nothing is without fault. Nothing.... and nobody !
                What counts, in the end, is not how you manage to make things right.
                It's how you manage to live with the fact that some things will always be a bit wrong.

Comment

susie...what did you hear about the 2 guys who where murdered across the lake from where your staying???..alan and dan..last march 05??..did you hear any news about that or see the burnt remains of their B&B??

Comment

SnoPro.... I heard nothing about the murders while in Canada. Joeee had mentioned it to me before I left. I did 2 loops of the lake shore and saw no burnt buildings. Was the place right on the shore? There were no areas that even looked like there was anything missing.

Comment

I think there is pine trees planted there now as a memorial or something. I also think that the garage area is still there also.
                      Northern Foothills of The Tug

Comment

report from st.zenon

suzie, the place that burnt was down lake to the right about 1500-2000yds i believe they cleaned the rubble up, you might have seen a foudation maybe

Comment

I wouldnt support that AREA if it was that LAST place to ride!!!

I'd quit...&@^*^%$#^&%#(*^# banchies!!

Comment

I am not sure... There is a new place being constructed to the right of La Cabanon. This place is HUGE!!! I dont know if it will be a residence or some type of hotel. It is big enough to be a hotel. The rest of the lake had homes & camps. I didnt see any places where something appeared to be missing. When we go up again I will look again.

Comment

here was the BEST place to stay....

photo courtsey of www.zenwaiter.com
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X