Deep Powder Riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Powder Riding

Hey - anyone have some good tips for riding in deep powder? I'm heading out to Centennial Wyoming (near Laramie) in March to ride the mountains for the first time. I need to know what to expect since I've only been on groomed trails.

I know I'll be getting stuck a lot, but any tips will help!

Well, for starters you should take me with you. I can help pull you out when you get stuck. Depending on elevation you might also need to change clutching and jetting. More preload on the secondondary will compensate for the loss of power due to elevation. If possible take plenty of your own fuel because much of the gas out there is an etanol blend and that will cause problems with your cluthing and jetting with your set-up. Ethanal blends produce less horsepower than regualar gasoline.
    LET IT SNOW!
    2003 Rev 440
    1973 Rupp Nitro 440

2008 Polaris RZR

Comment

Your probably renting a sled so dont worry about adjusting a thing. There already set up properly.
      As for powder riding, lots of throttle and when in doubt use more throttle!
      If you have ever ridden a jet ski , powder riding is very similiar. Lots of body english and prober throttle controll. Momentem is key too.The grab bar an the handlebars is a "must us" tool. my RMK's have them and when various areas here in the north east have serious snow, I use the grab handle almost constantly. If we get serious snow ill let ya try the RMK in the deep stuff.
      Think snow and good luck
      Rot.
      H20Xing is more twice as badass as the second most badass thing in the world.
      Heaven is a chocolate train with a monkey conductor who farts lollipops!

Founder of ROTS. POSSE

Comment

I ride in the mountains all the time living in alaska snoxer is correct you will have to change your jetting and clucthing for the elavation difference or just get an aattac installed so you dont have to mess with jetting and take some xtra belts with you deep powder riding eats up belts
        Sit-down,Shut-up and Hold the hell on

Comment

That's ALL we do is mountain riding.

The throttle is your friend.
          Stand up when ever you are off trail.
          Stand on the uphill side when on a side hill.
          Ride it VERY agressively when in the deep.
          Did I mention that the throttle is your friend?

The most important rule:
          When you are in doubt about making it, GAS IT for all that you are worth and gas it some more.
          Let's Ride Idaho

Comment

Where are you staying? I went last year and rented new polaris' from Albany Lodge. Would highly recomend them.
            Sponsered by Ingles Perfomancehttp://www.inglesperformance.com , Elite Motorsportshttp://www.elitesnow.com , Northern Synlube, Amsoil, High Performance Engineeringhttp://www.hiperf.com

Comment

I'm renting a sled when I'm out there - '05 Summit. It should be all ready to go for jetting etc. It's a lot easier to rent one b/c I'm definitely not driving that far (approx 28hrs). The place I'm renting from is called Mountain Meadow Cabins. Thats not where we are staying though and for the life of me I can't think of the name of it. At least I know where to get my sled though.

I'm excited to go! I know we are trail riding the 1st day which will be a nice warm up since I may not ride at all before I get there. 2nd day is mountain day and 3rd day is a poker run. Its going to be a fun trip.

So just to make sure I understand - throttle, throttle and more throttle.

Thanks for the tips! Hopefully I can get some miles on around here before I go or esle I'm really going to be hurting. Advil and icy hot will definitely be along for the ride!

Comment

It sounds like ur going to have an awsome time... Be safe an take lots of pic's
                Ride it like a Rental

"Fear" : A balencing act between Normalcy and Idiocity, ...It Parelizes the Majority,... But give's Clarity to some.

Comment

Originally posted by G_S_X_Girl

So just to make sure I understand - throttle, throttle and more throttle.

And don't forget, THROTTLE. lol

Actually I forgot the most important rule.
                  Have fun with it.
                  Mountain riding is SO ADDICTIVE.
                  My wife even says that trails are for other people. (I taught her well)
                  Let's Ride Idaho

Comment

Friend of mine goes to Togwotee in Jackson Hole WY each year. They rent sleds and use a guide. Cuz they are veteran sledders the guide lets them do what they want. The guide is there to help them get unstuck when it happens. The guide in WY used a Snobunjie to get the sleds unstuck. I have seens this thing in action and it is a must have if you are going to be stuck in deep snow. The main thing they say about the deep powder riding is, it is exhausting!!! I have seen a change in thier riding styles since thier trips to WY. They are no longer afraid to go off the trails. You will be a different rider when you return. Student driver is right you will be addicted to the powder!

Have fun!!! I am saving to go with my friends next year to Togwotee. Take pics and make sure you post them!

Comment

I'm sure I'll be taking plenty of pics. I'm probably going to purchase another memory card for my camera so I don't miss anything.

I've heard its exhausting too - my brother goes out there twice a year and has been telling me to get in shape. I keep telling the same thing to him so he can get me unstuck!!!

Comment

It's to bad you don't have any snow GSX or you could practice moving from side to side on the running boards and get the feel for weight distribution leaning the sled. It all is in time spent on the machine. You'll have a ball & for sure get stuck but that's what it's all about. Everyone has touched on a lot of what it's like. I'll add to bring liquid w/ you when out riding. NOT booze...lol. Liquid as in gatorade, sports drink, along those lines to replenish your body. It's tiring work, and your at a higher elevation than your body is used to. Your body gets dehyrated very quick and usualy you won't know it till it's to late so drink it all day long. I'd recommend drinking it even while at the place your staying...hotel etc. Amazing what those elevations do to you.

You'll have a groovy time riding the trails out there cause no one uses them except to get to the play areas, bowls, hills, boondocking, etc. When I was out there I left the group I was w/ to go blast 50 miles round trip just cause they were so sweet. It's the flatlander in me Try to experience it all....don't be shy for hitting a monster hillclimb, but I only did the ones I knew I could top out at instead of sidehilling back down. Boondockin' was a ball too. I keep talking about it I wish I was going out this year again...lol.

Take lots of pics, be safe and above all else.....have a riot !!!!!!
                        It's who we are ..... It's what we do !!!!

Comment

Another tip I'm going to get blasted on for is watch your alchol consumption. Hangovers are supposed to be 10x worse than when home. Also bring and drink lots of water.
                          Sponsered by Ingles Perfomancehttp://www.inglesperformance.com , Elite Motorsportshttp://www.elitesnow.com , Northern Synlube, Amsoil, High Performance Engineeringhttp://www.hiperf.com

Comment

So I guess boozin till 4am prior to watercross racing is definiatly a NO NO at elevation huh Ron?

Rot.
                            H20Xing is more twice as badass as the second most badass thing in the world.
                            Heaven is a chocolate train with a monkey conductor who farts lollipops!

Founder of ROTS. POSSE

Comment

I don't remember doing that.

Comment

Working...
                              X